Saturday, January 17, 2009

Goodbye to a Modern Master




Andrew Wyeth, the reclusive artistic voice for the rural middle-class, died yesterday at home. Known for his realist melancholy landscapes and portraits of his friends and neighbors, his more affectionate fans referred to him as the "Painter of the People".

Myself, having long admired Wyeth's work, and having sought a number of times to capture that silence and mood ( always unsuccessfully) that could be found in his paintings, admired him as a true modern master. He made me look longer ...and what can be better than that...

Quotes by Andrew Wyeth:
"I can't work completely out of my imagination. I must put my foot in a bit of truth; and then I can fly free."

"I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious."

"It's a moment that I'm after, a fleeting moment, but not a frozen moment. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you...please drop us a line!